Sunday, November 15, 2009

12 weeks!

Today marks the start of my 12th week being pregnant. According to babycenter.com, from crown to rump, our baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long, about the size of a lime and weighs half an ounce. The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Our baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, toes will curl, eye muscles will clench, and the mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if I prod my abdomen (which I tend to do a lot!), our baby will squirm in response, although it's too soon for me to feel it. Our baby's intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into the abdominal cavity about now, and the kidneys will begin excreting urine into the bladder. Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in our baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. The baby's face looks unquestionably human: the eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his/her head, and the ears are right where they should be.



I have two appointments this week. On Tuesday, I will be heading to the Women's Health Center at the hospital for an ultrascreen. This is an early test that screens pregnancies to identify those at increased risk of having Down syndrome or Trisomy 18. By combining a blood test and a special ultrasound, a very high percentage of pregnancies likely to have these problems can be identified earlier than previously possible. Then on Wednesday, I have my regular appointment with my OB. I've been going to the OB every two weeks, so I'm hoping after this appointment she will give me the clear and we can schedule appointments every 4 weeks.


Survey time!!


* How far along?: 12 Weeks

* Total weight gain: I don't own a scale, nor do I want to. I'm not sure how much I've gained; I will find out on Wednesday.

* How big is baby?: Our little bean is now the size of a lime.

* Sex: Still too early to find out. 20 weeks

* Maternity clothes?: Yes- I have been wearing maternity pants to work. They are so comfortable!

* Stretch marks?: Nope, but I'm lathering on Palmer's Cocoa Butter lotion constantly!

* Sleep?: I'm still great, and not complaining! I'm very fortunate that I do not have to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom!

* Best moment this week? Looking forward to my two appointments, seeing our little bean and hearing the heart beat!

* Movement?: Not yet!

* Food cravings?: Protein and water

* Labor signs?: No

* Belly button in or out?: In

* What I miss: Same as two weeks ago, a nice cocktail after a stressful day at work...

* What I'm looking forward to: Same as two weeks ago, my belly popping and not looking like I have a beer gut!

* Words of Wisdom: Through all the mood swings, appreciate the loved ones around you!

No comments:

Post a Comment